Pentagon Kevin Sweeney resigned following other high-profile departures.

Another top Pentagon official announced Saturday he would step down from his role, following the resignation of Defense Secretary Jim Mattis last month and President Donald Trump’s controversial decision to withdraw US troops from Syria.

Rear Adm. Kevin Sweeney, who has served as chief of staff to the Secretary of Defense since January 2017, said he would leave the department and move to the private sector.

READ  Liverpool scored HUGE victory over Anfield right now - however there are severe classes to be taught

“After two years in the Pentagon, I’ve decided the time is right to return to the private sector,” Sweeney said in a statement. “It has been an honor to serve again alongside the men and women of the Department of Defense.”

READ  Man accused of raping lady in St Helens city centre assault

Pentagon spokeswoman Dana White also resigned earlier this week.

Mattis stepped down last month after Trump decided to withdraw troops from Syria, writing in a searing resignation letter that Trump should find a replacement whose “views are better aligned with yours” on issues like respecting allies and recognizing enemies.

READ  Samsung simply advised us the Galaxy S10 gained’t be an iPhone X clone – BGR

Another prominent resignation following Trump’s Syria decision was that of Brett McGurk, the top US official leading the 79-nation fight against ISIS. McGurk told his colleagues he could not in good conscience carry out Trump’s orders to withdraw 2,000 troops.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here